subterranean connection between them.  We did not observe both craters discharge at the same time, but one began when the other ceased.  Neither was in action for more than an hour.  A solid stream was thrown up more than sixty feet; that from the larger crater being about five feet in diameter, and that from the smaller one not more than three feet.  The larger mound of incrustations was about ten feet high, and twenty feet through at the base.  There were several holes in it large enough for a man to crawl through, which some of the party did, when the geyser was not in action.  The smaller mound was not more than five feet high, and shaped like a hay-cock, with a portion of the top knocked off.  the two mounds were about twenty feet apart, and connected by a ridge, or neck of incrustations, two feet high.  "The Grotto" was about a hundred yards from the river.  A quarter of a mile farther back, and just at the edge of the timber, we found a mound in the shape of a cone.  At the vertex was a small opening, not more than a foot in diameter.  This geyser did not appear to have discharged for some time.  The ground was quite dry all around, and a number of incrusted pine twigs, leaves, and cones were found, which retained their shape perfectly, but were hard, smooth, and white as alabaster.  At that point, much ballast was obtained for the pack animals.
    Crossing the river, we named the "Fantail" geyser from the fact that it discharged two streams from its vent which spread out very much like a fan.
    One of the most remarkable geysers was "The Giantess."  for yards around the ground rose gradually to its crater, but immediately about it was no formation rising above the surface, as was the case with all the other geysers which we saw in active operation.  When quiet, it was a clear, beautiful pool, caught in a subsilica urn, or vase, with a hollow, bottomless stem, through which the steam came bubbling, just like the effervescence of champagne from the bottom of a long, hollow-necked glass.  The mouth of the vase, represented by the surface, was twenty feet by thirty; and the neck, fifty feet below, was fifteen feet by ten.  The water, at times, retired to the level of the neck, or vent, and at other times rose nearly to the surface.  when in action, "The Giantess" became a fountain with five jets, shooting the spray to a height of two hundred feet.  At the surface the largest jet was about two feet in diameter, and it kept in solid column for more than a hundred and fifty feet before breaking into drops and spray.  It burst forth just before sunset, and the last rays of light gave prismatic tints to the glistening drops, when, having reached their utmost altitude, they trembled at their coming fall.  The clouds of steam, which in this, as in all other instances, accompanied the boiling water, became a golden fleece lit up by wreaths of rainbows.  Though inferior to "The Giant" in immensity of volume, and perhaps in grandeur, "the Giantess" was by far the most beautiful sight we saw in the geyser basin.
    "The Beehive"--named for the shape of its mound--was quite small, but threw its water higher than any other geyser we saw.  The stream was less than two feet in diameter, and ascended two hundred and twenty feet, from accurate measurement by triangulation.  It remained in action only a few moments.
    We saw many other geysers in action, but those I have particularly described were the most notable.  They were all intermittent, few of them continuing in action more than half an hour at a time.  there were also many mounds from which the water was evidently discharged at times, but they were quiet during our stay.  We were probably very fortunate Go to next page

Go back to Table of Contents
Go back to Yellowstone Historical Almanac
Go back to Yellowstone History Guide
Go back to The Magic of Yellowstone front page
Page 1
Page 2
Page 3
Page 4
Page 5
Page 6
Page 7
Page 8
Page 9
Page 10
Page 11
Page 12
Page 13
Page 14
Page 15
Page 16